The research work of the Faculty of science of the University of Psychotherapy Science of the Sigmund Freud University in Ljubljana is based on development of relevant scientific disciplines, and on cooperation in the transfer of research findings into pedagogic process and in specific practical areas. One of the most important objectives of the scientific research work of the faculty is to develop empirically supported psychological and psychotherapeutic practice.
Scientific and research work is interdisciplinary-oriented in the field of social sciences (Frascat classification, No. 5) as well as in the areas of humanities and medical sciences.
At SFU Ljubljana we support team work and synergistic cooperation among researchers studying the same or similar topics from different theoretical, methodological and other perspectives. Our aim is to overcome the state of fragmentation in the field of psychotherapy and psychology in Slovenia. The focus is on some of the topics that should be central, but have been omitted from the research work and teaching. The important focus of research work is its direct application dimension, which allows a direct transfer of knowledge from the academic sphere to other societal subsystems, for example in health care, social care and education.
In accordance with the Statute of the SFU Ljubljana the research work takes place in the research unit and it is operated by associate dean for scientific research work. The research unit collaborates with a psychotherapeutic clinic, which is also a part of the faculty. This connection offers researches the possibility of access to potential research participants.
Scientific research and professional collaborations:
There are several connections between SFU and other institutions at the national level:
- Higher education institutions: Faculty of Social Work Ljubljana;
- Institutes: Institute for Integrative Psychotherapy and Counselling (IPSA), Institute GITA;
- Other organisations: Slovenian Institute for Psychotherapy (SKZP), Psychotherapeutic association Slovenia (ZPS), Systematic Psychotherapy Society, Deep Psychology Psychotherapy Association of Slovenia, Bonding Psychotherapists of Slovenia Society, Freud Foundation, Students Association of Psychotherapy Slovenia, CORP Ljubljana, CP Celje, CP Maribor, Slovene society for integrative psychotherapy and transaction analysis, Beletrina, Srečališče Society;
- Companies: RC IKTS (Razvojni center Informacijsko komunikacijskih tehnologij Savinja Žalec).
SFU Ljubljana also has connections with foreign partners:
- Higher education institutions: Sigmund Freud University in Vienna, Accademia di Psicoterapia della Famiglia in Rome, Crucible Institute in Colorado, USA;
- Institutes: Synergy and psychotherapy research Institute in Salzburg;
- Other organisations: European Family Therapy Association (EFTA), European Confederation of Psychoanalytic Therapies, European Society for Hypnosis, Austrian Association for Systemic Therapy and Systemic Studies (ÖAS – Österreichische Arbeitsgemeinschaft für systemische Therapie und systemische Studien), Miltona H. Ericksona Society in Germany, Udruženje sistemskih porodičnih psihoterapeuta in Serbia, Društvo za kibernetiku psihoterapije in Rijeka, Croatia.